RATS – WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW.
You have probably heard of the Pied Piper of Hamelin who piped all of the rats out of this town in Germany with his enchanted music. Unfortunately, although this is a lovely fairy tale, it just won’t work for you! The rat population is on the rise in Ontario. This may be caused by construction projects, warmer winters and less frequent garbage collection. It is important to call a reputable pest control company such as TK Pest Control to professionally deal with this problem.
Rats are destructive! They can be found chewing holes in your home, gnawing holes in walls, and chewing wiring which can cause damage to costly appliances. They can also spread diseases such as Hantavirus and Salmonellosis.
Rats are mostly active at night and prefer to hide. You may hear scratching noises in the walls or attic. If rats are in plain sight, it is likely you have an infestation. Rats can weigh up to 1 pound (0.5 kilograms); have long spindly tails and very sharp front teeth. Rats are prolific breeders and can have 6–8 litters of 8–12 babies each year. The offspring begin to breed at 3 months. You need to get professional help to stop this cycle.
Rats are likely present if you see evidence of gnawing marks, holes chewed in wood or walls, damaged food packaging or capsule shaped droppings. Rats may leave dirt, grease marks and rodent hairs on walls and floorboards. You may also see their footprints on a dusty surface. Look for nests or nesting materials in hidden areas and watch for burrows around the yard. Always wear a dust mask and rubber gloves when cleaning up the droppings. Do not sweep or vacuum the feces. The dust can cause illness. Dampen the area with a bleach and water solution before wiping up. Wear gloves to dispose of mice or rats and double wrap them before placing in a secure garbage container.
Prevention is the key to controlling rats and mice. Vermin will get into dirty places. Cleanliness is essential!
- Store garbage in rodent proof containers.
- Reduce clutter outdoors. Raise wood piles 1 foot above the ground and away from the house.
- Cut back long grass and weeds.
- Cover vents and soffits with fine metal screening.
- Seal any entry points. Rats can squeeze though a space about the size of a quarter. Mice need a space the size of a dime to gain entry to your home.
- Replace defective weather stripping under doors and be sure garage doors close flush to the ground.
- Patch cracks in the foundation.
- Fill holes around pipes going into your home with steel wool, then seal with a silicone caulking material.
- Secure composters.
- Keep area under bird feeders clean.
- Eliminate sources of water.
- Clean areas under kitchen appliances.
- Do not leave food on counters. Keep dry food in sealed metal or glass containers.
- Store pet food and bird seed in metal or glass containers.
TK Pest Control, serving the area for over 20 years, will work with you to eliminate rats. We use locked, enclosed bait stations with professional grade rodenticide bait. The rats will eat the bait, go in search of water, and die. Mice are curious, but rats are cautious. They will avoid anything new until they get used to it so it may take a few days before they will eat the bait. TK Pest Control only uses products approved by Health Canada. Our technicians are fully trained, licenced and insured so you can be sure that you are receiving professional services. Call us today!
TK Pest Control
705-325-8239 • 705-687-9477 • 877-325-8239